The Town Hall

The neo-renaissance style edifice has a grand marble stairway on the façade and an adjoining belltower.

The first representatives of the Livorno community met in the church of Saints Mary and Julia. In 1646 a house was acquired in Via del Porticciolo, where they hung a great bell cast by Giulio Seggi of Sassuolo on the tower. They remained there until the present building was constructed. Badly damaged in 1742, it was almost entirely rebuilt in 1745.
The tower was also re-built to house the old bell.
Renovated and embellished in 1929 by the engineers Salvais and Pastore, it was heavily bombed in the Second World War and renovated and partially rebuilt again under the guidance of the engineer Primavera.
On the first floor is a bronze reproduction of Donatello’s David, and a marble tablet commemorating the four-hundredth anniversary of the founding of Livorno.
The Council Chamber is decorated with four stucco panels depicting Livorno in the mythical time of the temple of Ercole Labrone, the Village, the Castle, and the Medicean city, together with busts of illustrious Livornese.

The Town Hall building, solid and geometric, is an interesting example of functional architecture. Another building in functional architecture is the Synagogue of the Roman architect Angelo Di Castro. The Town Hall stands up in the area of the old Sant'Antonio Hospital, formerly a penitentiary, and it was built after the clearance of the historical centre in 1930’s. Designed by Legnani and Sabatini, it was completed in 1942. It has two bas-relieves: one of them, towards Bank Street by sculptor Vico Consorti from Siena, represents Italy in peace and in war; the other one, about 40 meters wide and placed on the balcony of the main front, represents the history of Livorno by the Perugian sculptor Tommaso Peccini.
In the square opposite the entrance of the Town Hall, from 1965, is the stone dedicated to the civil victims in the Wars by Dino Bovecchi, on a design of Vitaliano De Angelis. This stone represents the deportation, the hard labour and the bombings. In this area rises the orthodox Santissima Trinità Church that housed vestments of great artistic value that now are placed partially in the Dormizione Church in Mastacchi Street and partially conserved in the municipal artistic collections.

Film shot in the area: Il cielo è rosso, 1950, C. Gora.