Barriera Margherita

Built in 1890, it was part of a plan (begun in 1874) to increase the Customs Boundary built on the orders of Leopoldo II in the years from 1834 to 1842.

The definition of a customs boundary was tied to the need to give the city a precise boundary and re-establish a relative certainty with regard to payment of customs duty in view of increasingly widespread smuggling.
In 1885, after various plans proposed in the seventies, the City Engineer, Angelo Badaloni presented a plan to extend the Customs Boundary which provided for an addition to the walls to the south, and which would change the shape of the city from a polygon to a square. Finally, in 1887, a project by the engineer Adriano Unis was approved, which re-dimensioned the whole work plan, the new wall being shorter and more irregular. Work began between 1888 and 1889: the last stretch of the River Maggiore was redirected and the Barriera a Mare (“the Sea Gate”) (later Regina Margherita) was built, being completed in 1890. In addition Barriera Roma and Barriera San Marco, with adjoining square, were also built.
The Barriera a Mare, the more monumental, is characterized by a decorative slab with triglyphs set between the architrave and the cornice of the Doric entablature.